You can access a larger version here.
People thought that our previous post on this topic was helpful, so we wanted to provide some more insight. We have been looking into the physical side of the cloud– the data centers that Amazon, Google, Microsoft and others use to host the infrastructure that powers our applications. We initially focused on trying to figure out where the data centers are physically located (which is a more difficult task than you might expect) and ended up compiling some other information that we think might be interesting to others:
- Cloud data centers are huge. Many have hundreds of thousands of square feet of space. Microsoft highlights the fact that one of its Azure data centers takes up as much space as ten football fields.
- Clouds are expensive. The tab for a single cloud data center can be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Many providers lease space in large colocation facilities. In fact, some competing providers lease space in the same facilities. In an extreme case, Softlayer actually serves as the hosting provider for at least one Linode location. Other facilities are leased from DuPont Fabros (Rackspace), Equinix (AWS), Switch (Profitbricks), others.
- Many cloud “regions” are actually comprised of two or more distinct data centers (such as AWS in Sydney).
- Unsurprisingly, cloud data centers are showing up in clusters around major internet hubs with existing facilities and world-class network infrastructure.
- While many data centers are in or near major metropolitan hubs (New York, Chicago, London, Hong Kong, etc.), some are popping up in unexpected locations such as Boardman, Oregon (Amazon) and Quincy, WA (Microsoft) in order to get access to cheap Hydroelectric power from the Columbia River.
- On the whole, cloud providers have under-invested in emerging markets with high internet use. None of the major providers have facilities in mainland China or India, and only Amazon has a presence in Brazil.
Here is a list of cloud data centers that we included in our research. The live list is available here. It took quite a bit of searching to arrive at our best guess on the locations, so some addresses may be inaccurate (few providers disclose their data center locations):
|AWS||North America||US East (N Virginia)||Washington, DC|
|AWS||North America||US West (N California)||San Francisco, CA|
|AWS||North America||US West (Oregon)||Boardman, OR|
|AWS||North America||GovCloud||Portland, OR or Seattle, WA|
|AWS||South America||South America (Sao Paulo)||Sao Paulo, Brazil|
|AWS||Europe||EU (Ireland)||Dublin, Ireland|
|AWS||Asia||Asia Pacific (Singapore)||Singapore|
|AWS||Asia||Asia Pacific (Tokyo)||Tokyo, Japan|
|AWS||Asia||Asia Pacific (Sydney)||Sydney, Austrailia|
|Rackspace||North America||Dallas (DFW)||Dallas, Texas|
|Rackspace||North America||Chicago (ORD)||Chicago, IL|
|Rackspace||North America||Northern Virginia (IAD)||Ashburn, VA|
|Rackspace||Europe||London (LON)||London, England|
|Rackspace||Asia||Hong Kong (HKG)||Hong Kong, China|
|Rackspace||Austrailia||Sydney (SYD)||Sydney, Austrailia|
|IBM/Softlayer||North America||Dallas||Dallas, Texas|
|IBM/Softlayer||North America||Houston||Houston, Texas|
|IBM/Softlayer||North America||Seattle||Seattle, WA|
|IBM/Softlayer||North America||Washington||Washington, DC|
|IBM/Softlayer||North America||San Jose||Santa Clara, CA|
|North America||Central US||Council Bluffs, IA|
|North America||Central US||Pryor Creek, OK|
|Microsoft Azure||North America||North-central US||Chicago, IL|
|Microsoft Azure||North America||South-central US||San Antonio, TX|
|Microsoft Azure||North America||West US||California|
|Microsoft Azure||North America||East US||Boydton, Virginia|
|Microsoft Azure||Asia||East Asia||Hong Kong, China|
|Microsoft Azure||Asia||South East Asia||Singapore|
|Microsoft Azure||Europe||Northern Europe||Dublin, Ireland|
|Microsoft Azure||Europe||West Europe||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Linode||North America||Newark||Newark, NJ|
|Linode||North America||Atlanta||Atlanta, GA|
|Linode||North America||Dallas||Dallas, Texas|
|Linode||North America||Fremont||Fremont, CA|
|Digital Ocean||North America||New York||New York, NY|
|Digital Ocean||North America||San Francisco||San Francisco, CA|
|Digital Ocean||Europe||Amsterdam||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Profitbricks||North America||Las Vegas||Las Vegas, NV|
|GoGrid||North America||US-West-1||San Francisco, CA|
|GoGrid||North America||US-East-1||Ashburn, VA|
We hope you find this useful, and we would appreciate any updates or corrections!